The Russian government has returned Smolny Convent and Cathedral to the Russian Orthodox Church, according to a report from AsiaNews.
The convent, whose centerpiece is the cathedral, is located in St. Petersburg and was built for the daughter of Peter the Great as she entered religious life. Construction of the cathedral was completed in 1764.
In 1922, the Communist government of the Soviet Union confiscated the church and turned it into a warehouse. In recent decades, it has been used as a concert hall, and worship at the site resumed in 2010.
Since you are here…
…we do have a small request. More and more people visit Orthodoxy and the World website.
However, resources for editorial are scarce.
In comparison to some mass media, we do not make paid subscription.
It is our deepest belief that preaching Christ for money is wrong.
Having said that, Pravmir provides daily articles from an autonomous news service,
weekly wall newspaper for churches, lectorium, photos, videos, hosting and servers.
Editors and translators work together towards one goal: to make our four websites possible -
Pravmir.ru, Neinvalid.ru, Matrony.ru and Pravmir.com. Therefore our request for help is understandable.
For example, 5 euros a month is it a lot or little?
A cup of coffee?
It is not that much for a family budget, but it is a significant amount for Pravmir.
If everyone reading Pravmir could donate 5 euros a month,
they would contribute greatly to our ability to spread the word of Christ,
Orthodoxy, life's purpose, family and society.