The painting team of Romania’s National Cathedral has completed 6,300 square meters of mosaic interior painting and is currently working on the South Apse interior wall.
Applying the icon fragments on the walls and the subsequent finishings are made manually, stone by stone, has announced the communication team of the National Cathedral on Facebook.
“These interventions require lots of patience and attention and are made in order to correct the areas affected in the process of transferring on the wall the assembled icon fragments. This is how iconographic tiers are perfected,” transmitted the communication team.
“If we keep the current working rhythm at the mosaic workshop and if we receive support for the painting of Romania’s National Cathedral, we may find resources to accelerate activity in the near future,” declared painter Daniel Codrescu, coordinator of the mosaic painting works.
Among the scenes painted in mosaic on the medium and superior tiers of this apse are The Visitation (Luke 1:40-44), The Adoration of the Magi, Joseph’s Dream, The Flight to Egypt, The Massacre of the Innocents, and also The Wedding at Cana and Jesus Blessing the Children. They are all related to the theme of family.
“With God’s help and with help from the faithful who wish to support these works, we hope to complete these areas by the end of next year. This would be a great success for the evolution of interior works at the Cathedral,” Daniel Codrescu added.
“The workshop functions well, but things are more complicated on-site, especially in wintertime, when working conditions are more difficult due to cold,” Codrescu explained.
“That is why we hope from the bottom of our hearts to be able to advance as much as we can with the interior painting this summer. We trust Good God and we trust the benevolence of our donators who support the mosaic painting of the Cathedral, so that we be able to fulfil this Christian and Romanian ideal,” said the painter.
How to contribute
- Online, directly on the website pictamcatedrala.ro, by selecting one of the two red buttons, each allowing you to make an online payment by card either in RON or in EUR.
- In cash at any church of the Romanian Patriarhcate: the donor shall receive a receipt with the mention “Pentru pictura Catedralei Naționale” (“For the painting of the National Cathedral”).
- Through a text message at 8822: just text “Pictura” (“Painting”) and this will allow a donation of 2 EUR (VAT not applied).
- Through bank transfer in the following accounts of the Romanian Patriarchate (“Patriarhia Română”):
- Romanian residents can redirect 3.5% of their income tax by filling in the 230 form.
For more info:
Tel.: +40 (0)799.887.955
Photo credit: Facebook / Catedrala Națională