In 1013 a significant event took place in this church’s history: Bishop Alberic ordered the transfer of the basilica to the city of Como. A couple of decades passed and the Benedictines took possession of the church. It was they who transformed the former design of the basilica into the contemporary Romanesque style at the end of the eleventh century. The new building was dedicated to St. Abundius, who was the remarkable successor to St. Amantius. The basilica, with its magnificent nave and four small side altars, was honorably consecrated by Pope Urban II in 1095.