The Holy Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia is in an unfavourable position to report that ten Greek Orthodox Churches in the State of Victoria have been the target of successive burglaries in the last twenty-four hours.
These are, in particular, the Holy Churches:
1. Panagia Soumela East Keilor
2. Holy Trinity Footscray
3. Saint Nicholas Yarraville
4. Saint Paraskevi St Albans
5. Saint Dimitrios Moonee Ponds
6. The Entrance of the Theotokos Balwyn
7. Saint Haralambous Templestowe
8. Dormition of the Theotokos Altona
9. Saints Anargyroi Oakleigh, and
10. The Bookstore of the Holy Archdiocese, at the Monastery of Axion Esti.
These sad incidents of burglary took place during the hours when the Holy Churches were closed, therefore the safety of the clergy or laity from the respective Parishes was not endangered.
The local police authorities were immediately informed, and are currently conducting investigations to locate and arrest the perpetrators.
His Eminence Archbishop Makarios of Australia, from the first moment, is in constant contact with their Graces Bishop Kyriakos of Sozopolis and Bishop Evmenios of Kerasounta, Archbiepiscopal Vicars of Melbourne and Northcote respectively, and is receiving full information on developments on the issue as they unfold.