Another large-scale mosaic of a seraphim has been uncovered on the ceiling of Hagia Sophia in Istanbul.
The 6-winged angel of God was revealed when scaffolding set up 7 years ago to assist in restoration was finally dismantled, reports the Orthodoxia News Agency.
Another of the four mosaics was uncovered in 2009. It had been hidden under plaster and metal for 160 years. The last person to see the mosaic was Ottoman Sultan Abdülmecid and Swiss architects Guiseppe and Gaspare Fossati, who directed renovations at Hagia Sophia from 1847 to 1849.
Until today, the only evidence of the existence of the 5×3 ft. mosaics were drawings made by the Fossati brothers.